Hi, I’m Slyvon and
I Help People Simplify Their Fitness
You can call me Sly. Or Von.
People call me both, so I guess it depends on which one you like better.
I’m a minimalist who has a passion for showing people how to simplify fitness for their lifestyle. There’s way too much information out there, and it’s confusing the crap out of all of us.
You might have seen some of my work over at BodyBuilding.com, STACK, Yahoo Sports, and Fitocracy, but this site right here is where you’ll find most of my writing.
My book, No Nonsense Fat Loss: A Practical Guide to Simplifying Your Fitness for the Real World, is my other baby. So make sure to check that out later.
Outside of fitness, I’m a nomad, foodie, online business consultant, and a self-proclaimed lifehacker.
My Unconventional No-BS Approach to Fitness
I take a different approach to fitness than most people in the #fitfam world (or whatever hashtags they use nowadays).
First, I don’t believe that you should have to give up any of your favorite foods or live in the gym just so you can start feeling better about yourself. There’s a much better approach to achieving your goals than starving yourself and working out 7 days of the week.
I also don’t force any training methodologies down anyone’s throats. I strongly believe that the best training regimen out there is the one that you actually look forward to doing. You should NEVER have to do anything you don’t like. Most of my clients, for example, hate running on a treadmill. Cool, no problem. I hate it too. Because here’s a little secret: almost all training programs out there work, whether it’s bodyweight training, Crossfit, or the common bodybuilding workout split. Find the one that you’ll enjoy doing and can stick to for a very long time.
Lastly, I’m a big advocate of doing less to achieve more. You might know this as the 80/20 Rule: 80% of the results come from 20% of the actions. To put it simply, there are only a small number things you need to focus on in order to get your desired outcomes. This applies to many things in life. Even though the ratio is 80/20, in many cases the ratio can be a lot higher. In fitness, for example, 90/10 may be closer to reality. The problem is that most people are focused on doing all the wrong things at the wrong times.
By putting your efforts on the things that actually matter, it gets ridiculously easy to make fitness a part of your life, instead of having it take over.
Who This Site Is For
I’ll tell you straight up that I’m no fitness “guru”. I won’t pretend that I have all the answers to everything.
That said, what I do have is experience.
I know what works in the real world and what doesn’t. Note the key phrase “in the real world”. That’s because I’ve tried just about everything to get to where I am now. Literally everything. And let me tell you something: 90% of the fitness “advice” out there are full of crap.
Eat every 2 hours to “speed up metabolism”? Put butter in your coffee to burn fat? Don’t eat past 8PM ’cause everything you eat after that time magically turns to fat?
Umm ya, no.
If you’re looking for a way to get in better shape while living your current lifestyle (you know, like juggling a full-time job and spending time with your family) then you’ve come to the right place.
On the other hand, if you’re looking for the technicalities of a high bar squat vs. a low bar squat, or the science of muscle protein synthesis, then this might not be the right place for you.
Here at VBF, we’re all about simplifying your fitness and life so you can become the best version of yourself without worrying about all the things that don’t matter.
If you’re new here, make sure to sign up for my free Simplify Your Fitness email course. In this 5-day course, I’ll show you how you can simplify your fitness so you can start shedding fat and building muscle in the next 30 days.
After you sign up for the course, here are some of the most popular articles on this site to get you started.
- How To Calculate Your Calories (and Macros) For Fat Loss or Muscle Gain
- WTF Is “IIFYM” — A Beginner’s Guide to Flexible Dieting
- How to Put Your Diet On Autopilot (A Comprehensive Step-by-step Guide)
- Nutrition Made Simple: The Most Important Things You Need to Know About Nutrition
- Why Eating “Clean” Is Not the Solution to Fat Loss
- 8 Reasons Why Your Breakfast Sucks
- 10 Ab-Training Mistakes You Need to Stop Making (Featured On BodyBuilding.com)
- 16 Things I Wish I Knew When I First Started Working Out
- 7 Simple Tips For Better and More Effective Workouts
- 4 Highly Effective Strength Training Tips for Busy Professionals
- What to Do When You Have Little Time to Work Out
- For the Skinny Guys: 5 Simple Rules to Build Muscle
- Chin-ups First, Bicep Curls Later
- Building Muscle Is Simple, Don’t Make It Complicated
- Get Stronger and Boost Muscle Growth With Progressive Overload
- Fat Loss Is Simple, Don’t Make It Complicated
- 5 Simple and Effective Fat-Burning Rules to Live By
- The “Secret” To Getting Six-Pack Abs
Lifestyle & Mindset
- How to Accomplish Any Goal (A Simple No BS 3-Step Method)
- Why You Need to Stop Worrying About the Little Stuff and Just Take Action
- My 45 Principles For Successful Living
- Less Is More: How This Can Be Applied To Fitness
- This 5-Second Trick Can Help You Focus And Get Things Done
Stalk Me On Social Media
I’m also on Snapchat if that’s your thing — add “slyvonblanco” to get a behind-the-scenes look at my daily life.
If you have questions about anything, feel free to reply to any emails that you receive from my email newsletter. Don’t be shy, I respond to everything I get.
Until next time, and thank you for reading.