Hi, I’m Slyvon Blanco
You can call me Sly. Or Von. (People call me either or, so I guess it depends on which one you like better).
I’m a minimalist who has a passion for showing people how to simplify their fitness for the real world. There’s way too much information out there, and it’s confusing the crap out of all of us.
You might have seen some of my work over at BodyBuilding.com, STACK, Yahoo Sports, and Fitocracy, but this site right here is where you’ll find most of my writing.
Outside of fitness, I’m a nomad, foodie, online business consultant, and a self-proclaimed lifehacker (if you want to learn how to fly anywhere in the world for free, I can show you how).
My No-BS Approach to Fitness (and Life)
I take a different approach to fitness than most people you see out there.
First, I don’t believe that you should have to give up any of your favorite foods or live in the gym just so you can start feeling better about yourself. Instead, I actually show you how to get the results you want while still being able to eat all of your favorite foods and minimizing gym time.
I also don’t force any training methodologies down anyone’s throats. I strongly believe that the best training regimen out there is the one that you actually look forward to doing. You should never have to do anything you don’t like. Most of my clients, for example, hate running on a treadmill. Cool, no problem. I hate it too. Because here’s a little secret: almost all training programs out there work, whether it’s bodyweight training, Crossfit, or the common bodybuilding workout split. Find the one that you’ll enjoy doing and can stick to for a very long time.
Lastly, I’m a big advocate of doing less to achieve more. You might know this as the 80/20 Rule: 80% of the results come from 20% of the actions. To put it simply, there are only a small number things you need to focus on in order to get your desired outcomes. This applies to many things in life. Even though the ratio is 80/20, in many cases the ratio can be a lot higher. In fitness, for example, 90/10 may be closer to reality. The problem is that most people are focused on doing all the wrong things at the wrong times. I show you what your 10% should be.
By putting your efforts on the things that actually matter, it gets ridiculously easy to make fitness a part of your life, instead of having it take over.
Who This Site Is For
I’ll tell you straight up that I’m no fitness “guru”. I won’t pretend that I have all the answers to everything.
That said, what I do have is experience. I know what works in the real world and what doesn’t. Note the key phrase “in the real world”. That’s because I’ve tried just about everything to get to where I am now. Literally everything. I’ve also probably been in your exact position before, so I can relate to what you’re going through.
If you’re looking for a way to get in the best shape of your life while living your current lifestyle (you know, like juggling a full-time job and spending time with your family) then you’ve come to the right place.
On the other hand, if you’re looking for the technicalities of a high bar squat vs. a low bar squat, or the science of muscle protein synthesis, then this might not be the right place for you.
Here at VBF, we’re all about simplifying your fitness and life so you can become the best version of yourself without worrying about all the things that don’t matter.
If you’re new here, make sure to sign up for my free Fitness Simplified Email Course. In this 5-day course, I’ll show you how you can simplify your fitness so you can start shedding fat and building muscle in the next 30 days.
After you sign up for the course, here are some of the most popular articles on this site to get you started.
- How To Calculate Your Calories (and Macros) For Fat Loss or Muscle Gain
- How to Prevent Fat Gain When Drinking Alcohol
- How to Strategically Eat Fast Food Without Gaining Any Fat
- 2 Simple Steps To Prepare For An All-Out Feast
- Why Eating “Clean” Is Not the Solution to Fat Loss
- 8 Reasons Why Your Breakfast Sucks
- 10 Ab-Training Mistakes You Need to Stop Making (Featured On BodyBuilding.com)
- 16 Things I Wish I Knew When I First Started Working Out
- 10 Fool-Proof Tips To Get the Most Out of Your Workouts
- How Many Reps Per Set for Optimal Muscle Growth?
- What to Do When You Have Little Time to Work Out
- For the Skinny Guys: 5 Simple Rules to Build Muscle
- Chin-ups First, Bicep Curls Later
- Building Muscle Is Simple, Don’t Make It Complicated
- Get Stronger and Boost Muscle Growth With Progressive Overload
- Fat Loss Is Simple, Don’t Make It Complicated
- 5 Simple and Effective Fat-Burning Rules to Live By
- The “Secret” To Getting Six-Pack Abs
Lifestyle & Mindset
- How to Accomplish Any Goal (A Simple No BS 3-Step Method)
- Why You Need to Stop Worrying About the Little Stuff and Just Take Action
- My 45 Principles For Successful Living
- Less Is More: How This Can Be Applied To Fitness
- This 5-Second Trick Can Help You Focus And Get Things Done
Stalk Me On Social Media
Go ahead and follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to make sure you never miss anything I post. I’m also on Snapchat if that’s your thing — add “sblanc2” to get a behind-the-scenes look of my daily life.
If you have questions about anything, feel free to reply to any emails that you receive from my email newsletter. Don’t be shy, I respond to everything I get.
Until next time, and thank you for reading.